A Day in the Life of Amber

Ramblings about the nonsense I encounter...

Friday, June 03, 2005

It's All About The Eighties!


--Robert Smith from The Cure--

To put it bluntly, I love the 80’s! I love the hair styles, the clothing, the words, but most of all the music. I believe I was born 10 years to late, and into the wrong era. 80’s music is so good. Last night, my friend and I were discussing the many songs from the 80’s which we love. There are so many. I never was really into this music, until Eli, our youth minister was teaching us art a couple years back when I was about 10 or so. Every time we came to class, he would always have a soothing artistic cd that he would put into the cd player, and play while we drew or painted. He pretty much brought the same cd every week, however, I loved his music so much, that I started listening more and more to it. Eventually, I had a collection of great songs from the 80’s. I mean, all the songs are so emotional and so cheesy I love them. How can you go wrong? I even think its more brilliant how these songs are played throughout so many movies, people don’t even realize it. But my favorite flicks are the movies actually placed during this time in history. Such as, the wedding singer, or 13 going on 30. Well here is a list of great songs from the 1980’s.

a-ha ~ Take on Me ( This song is also played in the movie, Corky Ramono)
Alphaville ~ Forever Young (A Napoleon Dynamite Classic)
Bangles ~ Walk Like an Egyption
Pat Benatar ~ Heartbreaker and Love is a Battlefield
Paula Abdul ~ Opposites attract and Straight Up
David Bowie~ China Girl ( From the soundtrack of The Wedding Singer)
Clash~ Should I stay or should I go?
Charles Daniels Band ~ The Devil Went Down to Georgia
Depeche Mode ~ Blasphemous Rumors
Dexy’s Midnight Runners ~ Come on Eileen ( This is one of my all time favorites)
Foreigner ~ Waiting for a girl like you ( This song is the ultamite love song)
Go- Go’s ~ We Got the Beat
Billy Idol ~ White Wedding
Michael Jackson ~ Billie Jean
Cyndi Lauper ~ Girls Just wanna have fun and Time After Time
Barry Manilow ~ Copacobana ( Dom and Billy Bob did a salsa routine to this one)
Mat at Work ~ Down Under ( From the movie Finding Nemo)
Mike and the Mechanics ~ All I need is a miracle
Modern English ~ I Melt with You
Tom Petty ~ Free Falling
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers ~ Life is a Highway ( Soundtrack of Cheaper by the Dozen)
Police ~ Don’t stand so close to me ( This song reminds me of the movie Loser) and the song Every Breath I take
Queen ~ Queen Killer
REM~ Losing My Religion
Soft Cell ~ Tainted Love
Bonnie Tyler~ Total Eclipse of the Heart ( From the movie Bandits)
Trio ~ Da Da Da ( This song reminds me of my bro in law Landon)
Vapors ~ Turning Japanese
When In Rome ~ The Promise ( Another Napoleon Dynamite song)
Rick Springfield ~ Jessie’s Girl ( Plays on the movie 13 going on 30
Malcolm Mclaren ~ Madame Butterfly (This is a tear jerker)
The Cars~ My best friends girl and Just what I needed
The Cure ~ Letter to Elise, Friday Im in Love, Disintegration, Halo and so much others….

There are so many other songs I can think of..but I think this list is long enough. Today, many great bands are arising, with 80’s sounds to them suchas , the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, The Postal Service, Death Cab for Cutie…and all those other Indie bands out there with the great keyboard use and synths… If any one wants a great 80’s mix, I would be happy to make you one. Also, there is an awesome 80’s station- 103.9 – in case no one has there radio dialed there. Okay, this post is long enough I think. Tata!
-Ambular

5 Comments:

  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another good list! You forgot " I need a hero and lets hear it for the boys " From footloose . I love the 80's. What about 80's movies? I love them all. Beakfast club, footloose, indiana jones, better off dead, legend, and my new favorite , say anything . that is the best romantic movie I have ever seen.
    btw I would love the killers cd : )

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger Ambular said…

    I think that you and I should have a 80's party, haha u kno, dress all out, and watch 80's movies and whatnot, they are the best. And I will be sure and start warming my burner up for a little killer action ;)

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    don't forget the budding punk scene that sprang up in the 80s, young one. i was really pleased to see you mention the clash though!

    my favorite music from the eighties was the early U2 records (particularly "war" and "the joshua tree.") back when bono could still sing well and he didn't just drone on about how much his band rocked, U2 actually DID rock.

    by the way, if you like the police check out "roxanne." that song rocks.

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Ambular said…

    Oh ya, I did forget about the whole punkeroo scene of that era. We have some great Ramones hits such as, KKK took my baby away. We've got some good Circle Jerks hits...i think my all time fav of the Clash is London Calling...We also got alittle bit of rising metal from the Dead Kennedys and Sex Pistols. However, one of my favorite punk bands that got a boost in the 80's would have to be Social Distortion.
    Oh and thanks Walker for the song, im gunna check it our right now.

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Levi Nunnink said…

    Awesome list! I think I love every song on there.

    I'm soooo into Total Eclipse of the Heart

    And, of course, The Cure.

    Keep the 80s love coming.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home